Agile and Defect
“We will deliver defect free software every time.”
Or is it? … Especially in the context of agile development.
Let us start by asking two stupid question:
- How do you measure number of defects?
- When do you consider a software to be delivered?
Standard method of measuring defect is to:
- Define and freeze the requirement
- Derive test cases from the requirement
- Use the test cases to test the software
- Measure the number of test cases that has failed
Defect free software means all the identified test cases are passed.
- But from the perspective of the user is this sufficient?
- How do you draw the line between what has to be explicitly stated and is obvious but not stated?
- When do you consider a delivery to have been made? After every sprint?
- Can you ensure that every user story implemented in a sprint is without any defect?
These questions are not rhetorical. These questions need to be answered as in many organization developer performance measurement and even incentive depend measure of defect.